- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1/4 cup (56g) unsalted butter, diced into small cubes
- 1 Tbsp (13g) sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup (141g) all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Fortune Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- For the coating whisk together 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon in a shallow dish, set aside.
- Heat about 1 1/2 inches vegetable oil in a large pot or deep skillet over
medium-high heat to 360 degrees Fahrenheit. While oil is heating prepare
- Add water, butter, sugar and salt to a large saucepan, bring to a boil over
- Add flour reduce heat to medium-low and cook and stir constantly with a
rubber spatula until mixture comes together and is smooth (a few lumps in it
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl, let cool 5 minutes.
Add vanilla and egg to flour mixture then blend immediately with an electric
mixer. Blend until mixture comes together and is smooth (it will separate at
first but keep mixing it will come together).
- Transfer to a 16-inch piping bag fitted with a rounded star tip (no bigger than
1/2-inch). I recommend using the Ateco 845 or 846.
Carefully pipe mixture into preheated oil, into about 6-inch lengths, cut end
with clean scissors.
- Let fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels
to dry briefly then transfer to cinnamon sugar mixture and roll to coat.
Serve warm with chocolate sauce or caramel sauce for dipping if desired.